Submitted by Rosalie Movius
Besides acting as our guest writer this week, Rosalie is also MPS’s intrepid Program Chair.
Thomas Knauer’s new book, Why We Quilt, speaks to “the power of Art, Activism, Community and Creativity” in quilting. The book provides short historical asides to set the stage for the personal answers from more than forty American quilters about why they quilt. While each person has his/her more personal reasons for quilting, Thomas identifies five broad categories:
- We quilt to explore and express our creativity.
- We quilt to move beyond consumer culture.
- We quilt to create a connection with loved ones.
- We quilt to change the world.
- We quilt because we can – and because we cannot help but do so.
If you have ever asked yourself why you personally quilt, this book will provide a vocabulary for answering that question. It is delightful reading and I highly recommend it.