Supporting Quilters Through Education, Inspiration and Fellowship
Primary Navigation Menu
YOU CAN CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ZOOM IN
My latest Halloween quilt. Sorry I’m behind in my holidays.
A Salvage quilt has been on my bucket list so saved salvages for twenty years ago. During fall MPS, I began the salvage blocks. The salvages were cut for words, dates and color dots and sewn carefully on muslin without using adhesives. I used the blue at the top and bottom of each unit to reduce bulk at intersections. Units were pressed to get the 60 degree swirl. Simply quilted to show salvages.
Several years ago I made a reproduction fabric quilt and had many 2 1/2 strips remaining. With 60 degree blocks on my brain this Fall, I turned the strips into two Lullaby charity quilts. All but 8 inches of the 2 1/2 remained when the two baby quilts were finished. Success!
My brother-in-law Kevin Beaton‘s favorite alcohol beverage is Crown Royal. I started collecting bags and was given a whole box full by my sister. I started doing research and I did not want it to look like everyone else’s crown royal bag quilt. While in sisters Oregon I found the pattern and said that’s it. I love how it turned out.
This little wall hanging was made for my niece Lisa for Christmas. I’ve called it Stress Relief as she has recently taken up garment sewing. She is a Trauma Unit Nurse at OHSU and really does sew as a means to maintaining her sanity. The patterns are by Charise Creates.
“‘Tis the Season” was made using the pattern “Quatrefoil” from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. I rarely buy precuts but for this quilt I used a layer cake (10” squares) of the Holliberry fabric line by Corey Yoder. I am a new convert to single-fold quilt binding!
Threads on the Edge
Small Group Triangle Project
Two MPS small groups, Threads of Friendship and Quilters on the Edge merged for a special project. We chose to work with the book “Modern Triangle Quilts” by Rebecca Bryan; and then chose to use the equilateral triangles for this project. Each of the ten of us chose two triangles from the book and then a design element with which to create an original third triangle. We then designed our own quilts with our blocks.
“Many Voices” quilt was created in collaboration with the Threads on the Edge small quilt group. I selected colorful mottled solid fabrics for the pieced triangles. My intent is for the simple lay out of alternating white and solid triangles to help set off the pieced triangles.
Our small quilt group did a project using the same blocks. Fabric choice and final design was up to each individual. My daughter has a condo with bare walls. She wanted me to make something, but not a “Judy quilt”. She likes black and white but is also a Minnesota Vikings fan so purple. This is the result.
This is part of a Threads On The Edge project. I chose coral, green and blue solids and each member made three triangle blocks. The beige background is from playing with the blocks and the dark background in the finished quilt.
Part of TOTE Small Group project. I wanted to use the triangles in a bed quilt for our cabin. I added rectangles to the bottom of each triangle to give the look of trees. I the arranged them in an asymmetrical pattern and used the negative space to create trees in the snow. Three mountains for Three Sisters of Central OR where the cabin is located.
Threads on the Edge small group challenge. I selected a group of solids for the blocks in this quilt and waited to choose the background until the blocks were finished. It was interesting to audition different solids for the background that would complement the blocks. I used only the blocks (33) that were made and asked the group not to add any additional fabrics. I love the backing fabric! This was custom quilted by Teresa Koster.
This was a group project. This is how I put my blocks together.
With my small quilt group, Threads On the Edge, we sewed and traded triangles from the book Modern Triangles. I wanted to make something large, so I asked for triangles at 6″ finished height, a reduction from the intended 8″ finished height. Choosing a setting fabric was challenging, especially during Coronavirus. I arranged the triangles randomly to create a large triangular pennant.
This quilt is the result of a Threads on the Edge challenge based on “Modern Triangle Quilts.” Each quilter provided their fabrics. We took turns choosing 2 blocks and design elements to make a unique third block. I chose these fabrics to replace a quilt I gifted and miss.
Part of the Threads on the Edge project. The triangles are 6″. My design was inspired by a quilt block I had seen on Dawn White’s blog, “First Light Designs.” The Spinner block was designed by Heather Mulder Peterson of Anka’s Treasures. All the fabrics were hand-dyed for this project. After machine quilting the background, I chose to stitch with perle cotton in the hexagons and in the negative space on the right. I plan to use perle cotton when stitching the triangles.